What Does Change Mean to You?

About 6 months ago I took an online writing class because I needed to poke the writing bug who has been hibernating for way too long.  This class centered around tools every writer needs as well as getting over the fear setting your work loose for public consumption.  Getting over the fear is what I am struggling with the most at this particular juncture.  So, in and effort to get things rolling I decided to publish some of the exercises that I completed in class for everyone to read.

In this first exercise we were asked to pick a word and write about what that word meant to us personally.  I picked change.  Here is what I came up with:

Change inevitably happens in everyone’s life. It happens to some people more than others, yet is always available for those who actively seek it. Change can take the form of a residence, employment, relationship, friendship, health; the list is endless. I have seen significant changes in my life. At times I am overwhelmed and left reeling in its wake. This simple word evokes two responses: fear and exhilaration. Change is scary for anyone. There is fear of not knowing what to expect, moving in a new direction, that it will cause failure or heartache. But at the same time change can be exhilarating. It is the mark of a new beginning, a fresh perspective, and a clean slate. Change is the sign that you are breaking a mold, broadening your horizons, or shaking up a routine. For a while now I have been on the precipice of a pretty important change in my life. I have physically craved it although I am not sure what it is. Now I have a choice: do I let fear hold me back from making a change or do I ride the winds of exhilaration and let it carry me forward?

That is what change means to me, what does it mean to you?

1 comments:

  1. When I think of change, the things that come to my mind are women, men and diapers. I know that may sound strange to some of you, but please, just hear me out. I have known many women who have met men and want to have a monogamous relationship with them. The only problem is once they are in a relationship with the man, they notice that some of the things about him, that drew him to her now needs to be changed, as it has become annoying. To my way of thinking, in this instance the only thing that a woman can change on a man is his diaper and he either has to be very young, or very old.